I just got finished watching an absurd video message about how marketing a retail business with coupons is a mistake. I say this is absurd for a number of reasons.
- Statistics prove: people who use coupons are more educated and higher-income earners. These are people you WANT to attract as customers.
- Statistic prove: people who use coupons are more likely to spend more money per transaction than non-coupon users. So you often make up in sales volume what you give away in discount.
- Statistics prove: coupon improve customer frequency. Would you give a customer a discount if they frequented your business often? You probably would if they were to ask for it. So why NOT give them a coupon?
- Strategic coupons open more possibilities. When you create your coupons strategically, you can reward new clients, reward existing clients, increase the size of sale, get people to try new products, liquidate end-of season stock, pre-sell seasonal stock, collect customer contact information.
- Online coupons leverage the power of social media: People LOVE to share money-saving information online. Your online coupons AND your marketing messages can reach thousands of people FREE through the power of social media sharing.
I could argue for the intelligent use of online coupon marketing all day. Just look at all the effort and money companies like Duncan Donuts, Papa Johns, Express, Macy’s and even Coach handbags invest in coupon marketing.
I find it comical that these Mickey-Mouse marketing firms try to carve a niche by denouncing a tried and true method of marketing which has not only stood the test of time, but is growing exponentially.
The great recession combined with the great internet and social media expansion has fueled the online coupon method of marketing and THIS marketing expert says the trend will continue for a generation….at least.
I’m Andrew Mazer, the creator of moderncoupon.com.
moderncoupon.com is a local business marketing product created to benefit independent business owners and the customers they serve.
Learn more about the benefits of advertising your small business with us. Watch this video